Formed in 1904, the Plymouth Division was one of the first RMVCC units and has always been based at RM Stonehouse, the traditional home of the Royal Marines in Plymouth. The unit is well supported by 30 Commando IX Group RM, also based in RM Stonehouse, as well as HQ 3 Commando Brigade RM.
The cadets in Plymouth participate in all of the usual RMC training and activities, making good use of Dartmoor which is only a 30 minute drive away. This large isolated area is well used by the Royal Marines, and our cadets get to experience a little of what it is like to be a Royal Marines Commando under training. Our cadets will often stay out on the moor overnight as they are trained in the art of living in the field, but always supervised by adults. If you don’t like the rain, we’re probably not for you!
Like our other RMVCC Divisions, our recruits undergo basic training for 6 months as they are introduced to drill, map reading, navigation, first aid, field craft and Corps history. The recruits’ training finishes with a weekend exercise on Dartmoor where their field skills are assessed and then a Pass Out parade in front of very proud family and friends. The top recruit is awarded the prestigious Belle Isle Award. Having ‘passed out’, our cadets can join our General Duties Training or Musical Training routes.
For enquiries about joining us please contact us:
- Address: Plymouth Division RMVCC, RM Stonehouse, Durnford Street, Plymouth, Devon. PL1 3QS.
- E-mail: email@example.com.
- Telephone: 01752 251 578.
- Training Nights: Mondays and Wednesdays 1830 to 2030.
Our key personnel are:
- Commanding Officer: Capt Ossie Glover RMC.
- Second-in-Command: WO2 Darren Small RMC.
- Training Officer: CPO(M) Darryl Newman RN.
- Unit Sergeant Major: WO2 Gavin Thorpe RMC.
- Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant: CSgt Mike Phillips RMC.
- Administration Officer: WO2 James Glass.
- Finance Officer: CSgt Donna Morton.