The range of training and activities in the VCC is designed to ensure our cadets develop key personal skills, meet our Cadet Corps Aim but above all have some great fun.
Our core training activities are divided into the following categories:
- Recruit Training: The first four to five months when new recruits are taught the fundemental aspects of being a Royal Naval or Royal Marines Cadet. Upon ‘passing out’ new cadets can then proceed to General Duties or Musical Training. Click here for more information.
- General Duties Training: This is where our cadets can follow our Cadet Common Military Syllabus and proceed through various Phases as they acquire skills and knowledge. Click here to find out more.
- Command Training: Each year we run two command courses, the Junior Command Course (JCC) for LCpls who want to get promotion to Leading Rate or Corporal, and the Senior Command Course for Leading rates and Corporals who want to be Petty Officers or Sergeants. Click here to learn more.
- Musical Training: Cadets can instead elect to join our Band, and whether they can already play an instrument or wish to learn from scratch, cadets can develop into accomlished musicians and play an important part in the ceremonial life of the unit.
- Display Team Training: This usually takes place between Apr and Jul each year once GD Training has finished, and allows cadets to develop their public display skills in readiness for the summers season.
Our current Training Programmes can be found on each Division’s page.
A number of our units offer cadets the chance to learn to swim or to improve their swimming abilities. Please check with your unit’s Physical Training Instructor or Training Officer for details.
Marksmanship is a key skill taught to Royal Marines Cadets as this helps to develop discipline, confidence and dedication. Some Royal Marines Cadets unit offer regular shooting practices so please check with your Training Officer for further details.
Various competitions are held during the training year where our cadets can compete against other VCC units. These competitions include:
- Six-a-Side Football.
- Field Gun.
- Cross-Country Running.
Duke of Edinburgh Award
We are currently looking for new DofE coordinators so we can re-establish this worthy activity as part of our training. If you would like to get involved please contact us.