HMS Excellent RNVCC is based at Whale Island in Portsmouth and is our newest unit, the first recruits joining in September 2016. However, there was a VCC unit here until the mid-1980s so it’s not totally new. Co-located with and managed by the RMVCC, the unit will stand separately once there are sufficient numbers.
Youngsters enjoy training and competitions in military and naval skills, as well as sports and adventure training while developing an awareness of their community and service. In addition to instruction in skills and sports, VCC cadets also get the chance to attend camps during school holidays and represent their units at major public events such as Remembrance Sunday parades.
One of our most popular activities is the cadet Field Gun. Cadets can join our active and well-known field gun crew and compete for team and individual trophies. The cadets pull an original Boer War 7 pounder muzzle loading field gun weighing over a third of a ton along a 100 yard course, swapping the wheels over half-way to simulate crossing an obstacle. The wheels each weight 70 pounds, about the same weight of one of our cadets, and after running at full speed the cadets can certainly be seen to be earning their victory. This really is an active sport and required dedication, discipline and teamwork, and the crew can be seen competing each year against other cadets around the country.
All of our cadets get to wear the traditional Royal Navy ratings ‘square rig’ uniform as well as the more modern ‘working rig’, and participate in traditional naval ceremonies.
We are open to any young persons aged between 9 and 17 who live in the local area, and accept applications to join before the age of 9 for our waiting list.
- Address: HMS Excellent RNVCC, Alamein Block, HMS Excellent, Whale Island, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO2 8ER.
- Telephone: 023 9254 7495.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Training Nights: Tuesdays and Fridays 1830 to 2030 plus swimming on Thursday evenings, fitness club on Wednesday evenings and target shooting on Saturday mornings.
Our key personnel are:
- Commanding Officer: Lt Col Terry Wing RMC.
- Executive Officer: Capt Chris Spratt RMC.
- Training Officer: WO2 Gary Langworthy RM.